Call it whatever you want – eggplant, aubergine, brinjal or just plain biangan. The humble brinjal does have a strong character. Loved by adults and hated by kids, brinjal made as baraga baingan or baingan ka bharta are quite popular vegetarian curries in India. You can have it with rice or roti, but the distinct taste makes it a blockbuster soul food.
However, did you know that eggplants are highly beneficial for people with type 2 diabetes? Including brinjals in your diabetes diet plan might just be the best thing you can do to make your meals tastier and healthier!
Fact: Brinjal or eggplant is a fruit and not a vegetable
- Eggplants are good for your heart as they contain anthocyanin
- Brinjals are full of vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin K, niacin, thiamine, copper, and other nutrients
- Eggplants are low carb foods and contain no cholesterol
- Improves digestion
- Known to prevent certain types of cancer
- Assists in weight reduction and lowering cholesterol
- Improves blood flow to the brain and improves cognitive power. Yes brinjal is a brain food.
- Finally, they are good for people with diabetes.
Eggplant benefits for people with diabetes
Adding eggplants to your diabetic diet works wonders.
- With a glycemic index of 15, eggplants are probably one of the best foods for diabetes control
- Phytonutrients present in eggplants improve metabolism, and protect the pancreas
- Cooper in brinjal helps improve metabolism and build tissues
- Chlorogenic acid in eggplant helps reduce infections and acts as an antioxidant
Calories in Brinjal Curry (100 gm.)
|Saturated Fat||0.11 gm.|
Vitamins in Brinjal Curry (100 gm.)
|Vitamin B2||0.15 mg.|
|Vitamin B6||0.2 mg.|
|Vitamin B9||54.32 μg.|
|Vitamin C||10.94 mg.|
|Vitamin D2||1.59 μg.|
Calories in bagara baingan (100 gm.)
|Saturated Fat||2 gm.|
Vitamins in bagara baingan (100 gm.)
|Vitamin B2||0.06 mg.|
|Vitamin B6||0.06 mg.|
|Vitamin B9||19.29 μg.|
|Vitamin C||0.94 mg.|
|Vitamin D2||3.89 μg.|