Diabetes is a chronic disease that affects more and more people every day. One of the reasons why diabetes runs in the family is because of the genetics and environmental influence, but it’s also a complex issue as it differs between type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
The child is at a risk of developing diabetes when the parent withtype 2 diabetes is the mother, but having a parent with type 1 diabetes also raises a child’s risk of developing it which also depends on other variables.
A lot of factors are supposed to be looked into, in order to prevent diabetes together as a family. With the combined effort and support of one another, and a few diet and lifestyle changes, your family can possibly succeed in diabetes prevention.
Diet plays a crucial role and certain foods can spike your blood sugar levels and the main goal is to keep your blood sugar levels normal. A proper diabetic food list will help to understand what foods to avoid in diabetes and what all foods to eat, to prevent spikes in blood sugar levels. Whether or not you or your family member has diabetes, the goal here is to prevent diabetes which includes eating the right foods.
Consult your diabetes doctor to help you and your family with a diabetes diet chart and workout plan.
Best foods to eat to prevent diabetes
- Fatty fish – contains omega-3 fats that reduce the risk of strokes, heart diseases and inflammation.
- Green leafy vegetables – rich in antioxidants and nutrients which protect your eyes and heart health.
- Cinnamon – improves blood sugar control and insulin sensitivity and helps reduce cholesterol.
- Eggs – promotes good blood sugar control, reduces the risk of heart diseases, protects eyes and keeps you full.
- Chia seeds – contains high fiber, helps reduce inflammation and blood pressure.
- Greek yogurt – promotes healthy blood sugar levels, helps manage weight, and reduces the risk of heart diseases.
- Nuts – helps reduce blood sugar, LDL levels and insulin.
- Broccoli – helps protect against various diseases as it is low in calories and carbs and high in nutrient value.
- Extra-virgin olive oil – has many benefits for heart health and blood pressure.
- Flax seeds – helps improve insulin sensitivity.
- Apple cider vinegar – lowers blood sugar, improves insulin sensitivity and keeps you feeling full.
When it comes to physical exercise and staying active, any form of exercise is helpful for people with and without diabetes, as it helps keep in keeping a normal blood sugar range, increase insulin sensitivity, keeps your energetic and active.
Best forms of exercises you can do as a family
- Tai chi
- Weight training
- Stationary bicycling
Here’s how you can get periodical check-ups to catch any complications early or symptoms of type 2 diabetes
- A1C test – twice a year, to see how your blood sugar is being controlled
- Blood pressure checks
- Cholesterol test
- Foot examination
- Eye examination
- Dental check-ups
- Electrocardiogram – to check your heart health
Here are some tips to prevent diabetes as a family
- Cut out refined carbs and sugar from your diet
- Workout regularly
- Drink lots of water and avoid sugary and fizzy beverages
- If you or your family member are overweight or obese, then lose extra weight
- Quit smoking
- Follow a very low carb diet
- Eat a high-fiber diet
- Learn to do portion control
- Avoid any sedentary behaviours
- Optimize vitamin D levels
- Avoid eating processed foods
- Drink tea or coffee as it reduces the risk of developing diabetes
These measures can help you take good control over your health, reduce your risk of falling prey to so many diseases by keeping you away from the influence of unhealthy lifestyle habits and also in preventing diabetes.