Ragi Dosa is every South Indian’s favourite breakfast! If you think, ‘is ragi good for diabetes?’ Yes, ragi is very healthy as it is a whole grain. It’s more nutritious than rice as it contains high fiber, vitamins & minerals & ragi’s glycemic index is far better than refined flour or white rice. Consuming ragi on a daily basis helps maintain the ideal sugar levels in the blood by slowing down the release of sugar into the metabolism.
Here’s an easy step by step Ragi Dosa recipe that will keep everyone at home asking for more! It is also the best for ‘healthy diet freaks’ or for those who are diabetic – as ragi has low glycemic index.
Serving Size: for 1 cup – 126 Calories (1/2 cup – 63 Calories)
- ½ cup – rice (any rice)
- ½ cup – ragi whole grain or ragi flour
- ½ cup – urad dal
- ¼ tsp – methi seeds (or 2 tbsp. poha)
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp. – choice of your oil for drizzling (or Ghee)
- Sambar or chutney to serve
To prepare the fermented ragi dosa, you need to –
- Wash methi seeds and urad dal thoroughly and soak these for at least 5 hours.
- Next, wash rice and ragi together and soak them as well.
- Now drain the soaked ingredients and rinse well.
- Blend the urad dal with some water (as needed) until the consistency of the batter becomes thick and frothy. Transfer this batter to a bowl.
- Now blend rice and ragi, and add this batter to the same bowl as urad dal’s. Add salt and mix well (or you can mix salt later after fermenting).
- Let everything (batter) ferment well for up to 6 to 8 hours. The batter will rise slightly.
- Now it’s time to pour some water to the batter and bring it to your desired consistency. (If you like crispy dosas, keep the batter a bit thicker and for thin dosas, make the batter slightly runny).
- Now take a pan, heat up and grease. Make sure the pan turns really hot.
- Pour a ladle of ragi dosa batter and spread it to your desired consistency (thin or thick). Drizzle a bit of ghee or oil.
- Keep an eye to see the sides as they leave the pan, so you know it’s time to flip and cook the other side.
Delicious and healthy Ragi Dosa is ready to be served!