There is only one trick to increase your lifespan even if you have diabetes – keeping your blood sugar levels in control. This means taking your medicines, getting exercise, opting for a diabetic diet, and keeping a track of your blood sugar levels. For this, you need the best of diabetes doctors, dieticians, and of course the best glucometer in India. This is because high blood sugar levels can be trouble.
High blood sugar levels known as hyperglycemia can cause toxic effects on your body. It leads to:
- Eye disease (diabetic retinopathy)
- Kidney disease (diabetic nephropathy)
- Nerve damage (diabetic neuropathy)
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Heart attack
High blood sugar levels over a period of time damages the small and large blood vessels, and nervous system. It reduces immunity and damages literally every organ of the body.
High blood sugar levels on the other hand can also cause acute complications. This means that a sudden rise in your blood sugar levels and can also lead to hospitalization.
Causes for sudden increase in blood sugar levels
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- Ineffective/improper dosage of insulin.
- Infections like cold, flu
- Dietary intake
- Lack of sleep
- Medications like diuretics, and other blood pressure medications
- Dental infections
- Dawn phenomenon
People with diabetes have what is called a chronic hyperglycemia (constantly having high blood sugar levels). There might be high fasting blood sugar and high postprandial blood sugar levels.
- A person has high fasting blood sugar levels if blood sugar level is more than 130 mg/dL
- A person has high postprandial blood sugar level if the blood sugar reading two hours after meals is more than 180 mg/dL
High blood sugar level
|Fasting Blood sugar level||High/Very High/Dangerous|
|160 to 240 mg/dL||High|
|240 to 300 mg/dL||Very high|
|More than 300 mg/dL||Dangerous|
High blood sugar level symptoms
- Increased appetite
- Increased thirst and excessive urination
- Blurred vision
What happens if blood sugar levels are high?
People who do not monitor their blood sugar levels at home with a glucometer tend to remain unaware of their high blood sugar levels. However, prolonged high blood sugar levels cause long term damage to the organs. It leads to blindness, foot amputation, heart diseases, and stroke.
In the case of people who have a sudden spike in their blood sugar levels, it can lead to:
- Diabetic ketoacidosis
- Hyperglycemic hyperosmolar state
Both these conditions are life-threatening and need hospitalization.
How to prevent high blood sugar levels?
- Stick to your diabetes medication plan.
- Measure your blood sugar levels even at home with the best glucometer
- Get adequate exercise
- Follow a diabetes diet plan
For those of you having uncontrolled diabetes, or have other health conditions like hypertension, heart disease, or any other complication, it is very important that you measure your blood sugar levels at home.
The use of technological advancements like smartphone glucometers, and virtual care are also advised. This helps patients stay in touch with the care team and get immediate advice on sugar levels.
Apollo Sugar presents diabetes treatment at home with doctor-connected glucometers and 24/7 assistance of expert care team. Know more about our diabetes home health care solution. Enquire Now.