Whether you have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes or are at a risk of developing it, with the help of a well-balanced diet and exercise, reducing the risk of developing type 2 diabetes or potentially reversing its effects can be possible.
However, if you have type 2 diabetes, treating it carefully can help you to manage it better. Treatment for type 2 diabetes begins with regularly monitoring your blood sugar levels and using insulin or diabetes medication when necessary. Your diabetes doctor will recommend you to lose excess weight with the help of diet and exercise. Some of the diabetes medication have weight loss as a side effect, which can also be helpful in the process of reversing the effects of diabetes.
What causes type 2 diabetes?
There are several factors that contribute to developing type 2 diabetes. Being obese or overweight is one of the biggest risk factors. Although this is a lifelong medical conditon, it is said that genetics and sedentary lifestyle, eating habits, lack of physical activity, etc. also play the contributing factors.
Symptoms of untreated type 2 diabetes
- Blurry vision
- Excessive thirst
- Excessive urination
- Unhealthy weight loss
- Dark patches on the skin
- Infections that heal slowly
Can you reverse type 2 diabetes?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to reverse diabetes or cure it. Diabetes has to be managed with medications, and lifestyle modifications. However, once you start eating healthier, become more physically active, and lose all the excessive weight, you are on the road to success. You will be able to reduce all the symptoms of type 2 diabetes.
Weight loss is one of the primary factors in successfully managing type 2 diabetes. This is mainly because excessive fat in our bodies affects the action of insulin and being insulin resistant is one of the most common causes of developing type 2 diabetes.
This simply is due to too much fat inside the pancreas and liver of those who are susceptible to fat-induced damage.Knocking off about 15% of your body weight can cut off that fat completely allowing your organs to function better, which results in better insulin action and better response to the insulin by the tissues of the body.
All you need is a well-planned, consistent exercise routine and some healthy dietary changes to drop those extra kilos and reverse diabetes.
Here’s what you should do in terms of exercise & diet
Exercise routineis best for our overall physical and mental health. It will help you start managing the symptoms of type 2 diabetes by knocking off extra weight. Talk to your diabetes doctor to suggest workouts that suit your condition best and keep in mind the following –
- Start your workouts slowly and pick up gradually with intensity and duration
- Walk fast. Quick walking pumps your heartbeat and is a great form of exercise
- Be sure to keep a check on your blood sugar levels before and after your workout
- Always keep a snack or juice box handy incase of any blood sugar drop episode while working out
Quality of foods must be changed according to your goal. This will help you achieve results much faster. Include foods such as –
- Healthy fats
- Whole grains
- Lean meat protein such as low-fat dairy, fish, poultry, beans and soy
- Low-calorie foods
- Fresh veggies and fruits
- Limited alcohol
Type 2 diabetes mistake you should avoid
Start avoiding the most common mistakes in order to lose weight.
- Counting just carbohydrates and nothing else is one of the biggest mistakes people do in the process of slimming down. Make sure your diet includes a little bit of everything and count calories of fats, protein, and carbs accordingly.
- Not sleeping enough is the second most common mistake and if you ask why – well, not getting proper sleep has some adverse effects with your weight-loss process. Less sleep can also lead to less-controlled blood sugar and insulin resistance.
- Avoiding fruits because they are sweet is also one common mistake. Do try and include a lot of citrus fruits and berries in your diet.
- Skipping meals will not lead you to weight loss, but it will definitely lead to erratic blood sugar levels, low energy, increased hunger, etc.
Important ways to prevent and reverse type 2 diabetes
Keep in mind the following to better your condition in no time.
Reduce the main cause of insulin resistance
- Eliminate added sugars
- Skip flavoured drinks
- Choose water for hydration
- Eliminate refined carbs
Address your vitamin D deficiency
- Get most vitamin D from the sun
- Include a fat-rich diet that is high in fat-soluble vitamins such as A, D and K2.
- Make sure you get enough magnesium
Address sleep apnea, snoring & improve your sleep
- Do breathing and tongue exercises
- Make sure you get high-quality sleep
- Incorporate stress reduction techniques
- Include prebiotic vegetables in your diabetes diet
- Eat more fiber
- Include fermented foods twice or thrice a day
- Take probiotic and oral biotic to help heal your digestive system
- Break a sweat thrice or four times a day
- Include HIIT and strength training twice a week
- Try intermittent fasting by skipping breakfast once or twice a week (talk to your doctor before starting)
Visit your nearest Apollo Sugar Clinics for a complete comprehensive diabetes treatment and diabetes care. Get help from our team of experts that include nutritionists and dieticians who will customize a diabetic diet chart to suit your needs, along with our doctors and physical therapists who will suggest a workout plan that will give you the most benefit to better your condition of weight loss in type 2 diabetes.