The Suddenness of heart attack and toxic nature of diabetes – these two have one thing in common. Right now, they are the biggest killers in India!
You might think heart attack is an unfortunate event that has robbed the life and vitality of a person. It might be true, but before the attack a lot many things might have happened which went unnoticed.
Unbearable chest pain, and the rush to hospital – You have seen these scenes multiple times on media – defibrillators, oxygen therapy, aspirin, antiplatelet therapy, and probably a visit to the operation theater.
In some unfortunate cases, the heart is not able to supply blood to the brain. The pulse stops and there is no respiration. Body temperature drops, it turns pale and stiffens. The patient is no more!
We magnify the experience in the Emergency Room, but forget about the years of neglect. All this could have been avoided!
Rewind the scene back to a few years, and you mostly see that hypertension, stress, poor diet, lack of exercise, and poor diabetes control were not given the attention they deserved.
Why should it concern you?
Because regrettably, you or your loved ones could be next!
The rapid increase of heart disease and diabetes mellitus in India has led to numerous hospitalizations. It is a leading cause of mortality in India and it is catching most Indians in their youth.
The burden of chronic illnesses like heart diseases, diabetes mellitus, hypertension, high cholesterol, and others have wrecked families and their finances.
The Burden of Heart Diseases & Diabetes in India
- 28.1% of all deaths in India are due to heart diseases.
- Many deaths are due to Ischemic Heart Disease.
- Smoking, sedentary lifestyle, high blood pressure, poor diabetes control, and poor dietary choices are major contributors for heart diseases.
- Heart diseases that occur early in age lead to more mortalities.
- Lack of health consciousness with no periodical diagnostic testing and poor adherence to treatment is another contributing factor for numerous hospitalizations.
- Most end-stage kidney diseases are caused due to diabetes.
- Many eye diseases and foot amputations are mainly caused due to diabetes.
Here are some diseases that leaves many families devastated:
- Cerebrovascular disease (e.g. stroke)
- Coronary artery disease
- Heart attack
- Heart failure
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Diabetic Neuropathy
In order to keep yourself and your family free from these dangerous diseases, you need to be aware of the conditions, why they occur, their symptoms, the treatment options, and how to prevent them with simple modifications in your lifestyles.
Let us take a step towards preventing diabetes-related heart diseases.
In this section, you would learn about heart disease, its connection with diabetes, and how to prevent it.